2017-05-17

Misused Terminology

I am tired of the co-opting of common (or even not so common) terminology.

One of my pet peeves, as people may know, is the misuse of the term drone.
 It isn't a drone unless it has a degree of autonomy in flight, otherwise, it is an unmanned aerial vehicle.

 My next big peeve has been a heavily misused word for decades now: hacker... A hacker used to be someone who simply "hacked on" technology, as I do, to learn how it functions. Or to make their own technological devices (as I do) to learn how it all works and have fun. In this sense, I am a hacker. The term which should have been used, and is correct, of those who break into computers and technology for not so legal purposes is: cracker. To this end, it STILL should be the term used.

So if I call myself a hacker, know which term I am using, the correct one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Contributors

CatWalker

CatWalker
CatWalker at 29